Employees of organizations and companies around the world are practicing work from home after the epidemic of Covid 19. Demand for this specialty has grown significantly as a result of recent situations.
Meanwhile, even the all school and college is also practicing online classes to their students, the demand for webcams has also skyrocketed in the market. Prices have skyrocketed as the market has not been able to sustain supply.
After the epidemic, work from home will not be needed and everyone will go to the office as before. At that time you will not need a webcam.
So why waste your money and time buying a webcam for temporary use? Instead, you can use alternative methods.
You can quickly turn your Android and iOS phone or tablet into a webcam. Today I am going to talk about how to use a Smartphone as a webcam.
How to make your Android phones and Tablets to Webcam
Many such apps in the Google Play Store claim to make your Android phone a webcam. One of them is an app called Droid Cam which is the best app as per my choice. This is very easy to set up and can give reliable results.
There are other apps for Android devices as well. But Droid Cam is very simple and easy to use. Here I will describe the complete process of how you can use the Droid app.
- First of all, click here to download the free Droid Cam app and install it on your phone. Remember, your phone must have an Android 5.0 or higher operating system.
The developer of this app ‘Dave 47 Apps’ has also created a desktop application for Windows 10 and Linux. But this app is not available for macOS.
- You can also download this app on your computer by clicking here.
- After installing the Android app, install the app on the desktop and keep it ready to use. While installing, you need to allow the app to install audio drivers.
- When the Windows app starts running, you can see the options above. There are options to connect the device via WiFi (LAN), USB, or WiFi server. For webcams, you need to connect via WiFi. This is also the default setting.
- Below that option, you can see a box, where you have to put the IP address seen on your Android. Now open the Droid app on your mobile. There you can see the IP address of your device. Now go to the computer and put the IP address in the place where ‘Device IP’ is written.
- There are two things you need to do before pressing the ‘Start’ button on the desktop app. First, check both the ‘Video’ and ‘Audio’ boxes. If you only check the video, your microphone may not be able to pick up the sound. So tick both boxes.
- Then click on the three tabs at the top right of the app to open the Droidcam settings on the mobile. There is a camera section. There you can choose which front or rear camera you want to use.
You May Also Like: Now You Can See How Many Views You Got On Instagram
The rear main camera is much better than the selfie. So always use a back-facing camera. The setting of other options is default ऽ so you can leave it as is.
- Now press the ‘Start’ button on the computer to connect the computer and the smartphone. You can watch video feeds on your computer screen.
If you haven’t seen the video preview, keep both your computer and Android device on the same WiFi network, the Local Area Network (LAN). It requires both devices to be on the same network.
- Now open the video conferencing app you want from Zoom, Google Meet, or Skype. Go to the video settings of each app and change the default camera to ‘Droid Cam Source Two’ or ‘Droid Cam Source Three’. One of these two shows the video from your Smartphone’s camera.
- Go to the microphone section of the video conferencing app to make the device’s microphone the default input in your video conferencing app. It may contain audio input. From there, select ‘Droid Cam Virtual Audio’. Once you have adjusted so many settings, it works just like you thought.
- Even if you’re using a selfie camera for video and a phone with a webcam, it doesn’t interfere with the Droid Cam. You can continue your work without interrupting the camera feed. Even when you turn off the screen of your mobile, the Droid Cam is working well.
- If you are looking for the right place to place your phone on your desk at the angle of the webcam, you may be a little embarrassed. The car dashboard mount can solve your problem. If you are willing to pay ४ 4.99 for the Droid Cam app, you can get even more features.
How to make iPhone or iPad a webcam?
Like Android, there are many apps available for iOS, which can turn your iPhone or iPad into a great webcam.
By clicking here, you can also use the Droid Cam app made by Dave 47 app developer in the same way as in Android before.
Another great option is EpocCam. You need iOS 10.3 or higher software on your device to use this app. But you don’t have to use a cable like in Droid Cam.
- Click here to download the EpocCam app from the Apple App Store and install it on your phone.
- The EpocCam app has a desktop driver for both Windows Ten and Mac OS. Click here to download this app on the desktop.
- You do not need to open any other apps after installing the desktop driver. But you have to run your iOS device and computer on the same WiFi or LAN. Now open the mobile app and start running the video conferencing app.
- EpocCam can be seen in the camera settings of any video conferencing app you want to use. After selecting the EpocCam, your computer’s camera will now connect via WiFi. You can even see the notification on your computer screen.
- If this app did not work well in the beginning, you can also adopt some troubleshooting processes. If you’re running a browser-based webcam instead of a separate app on your computer, first allow the browser to access the webcam.
Before the app launches or the conference call starts, a notification asking for permission will appear. Now go to the web address bar to see it.
- In the case of the popular zoom app, the latest update 4.6.11 has broken compatibility with EpocCam. If you want to run EpocCam in the Zoom app, you will need some older version 4.6.7.
You can download an older version of the Zoom app by clicking here. But doing so is risky from a security standpoint. This way using backlinks sites becomes unauthorized.
But you can’t find many free features in the EpocCam app like in Droid Cam. For example, to use a front-facing camera on an iOS device, you need to review the app in the App Store.
Also in the free version watermark appears in your video feed. It has only 30 frames per second and a resolution of 640 by 480.
In addition, the free version does not even allow you to use the device’s microphone. For that, you need to use headphones with an in-line microphone feature on your computer. But if you pay $7.99, you can overcome all these weaknesses.